As the clock turns to midnight, we will reach 2019. As a tribute to a new year with endless possibilities, here are 19 predictions that I think will come true this year:
- In the NBA, Lebron will lead the Lakers to the Western Conference Finals.
- Draymond Green will depart the Golden State Warriors at the end of this season.
- The Celtics will win the Eastern Conference Finals, but lose to the Warriors in the NBA Finals.
- As we move from the NBA to the NFL, the Chiefs franchise QB Patrick Mahomes will be selected as the NFL MVP.
- The Saints will win the NFC Championship and represent the conference in the Super Bowl in Atlanta.
- The Patriots will lose to the Chiefs in the AFC Championship.
- And unfortunately for Chiefs fans, the Saints will hoist the Super Bowl LIII  trophy.
- Once we navigate the sports dead zone and finally make it to Opening Day, we will be in for a great year of MLB. If you are a Fenway Fanatic, you will be elated: the Red Sox win it all in 2019 behind the inspired play of Mookie Betts.
- For Yankee fans seeking some consolation, the judge is in session: just as Aaron Judge did in 2017, he will again regain his home run cut and hit 40 home runs or more.
- On the college front, Alabama will win the National Championship against Clemson. Is their utterance dominance of CFB ruining the college gridiron?
- Kyler Murray will leave college football and join the As after being drafted by Oakland with the 9th overall pick.
- As for tennis, Federer will win at least one major. If it is Wimbledon, he will bid adieu to the All England Club and to the game of tennis itself. Fed knows that the clock of time is ticking and this moment of history will be too much to pass up.
- In addition, Serena will continue her rise back to the top of the game of tennis, winning at least two of the four major championships.
- Finally, with my biggest tennis prediction of them all, Nick Kyrgios will find his focus, harness his huge talent and win the Australian Open. Wow.
- In the MLS, Atlanta will repeat, continuing a remarkable ascent for a franchise that is so new to the league.
- Sporting KC (SKC), led by Cliff and coached by the brilliant Peter Vermes, will win their conference and put up a great fight in the championship match against Atlanta.
- As for college basketball, the Jayhawks will lose to Duke in the Final Four continuing Bill Self’s long streak of underperformance in March Madness.
- Loyola, the Cinderella story of 2018, will struggle to regain the magic. Like Sister Jean, I would love to see it. However, you have KU and Azubuike and Zion and the Blue Devils. It is too much for a team that simply doesn’t have the same talent and chemistry of last year.
- …and therefore, my 19th and final prediction is that Zion Williams and the Duke Blue Devils will beat the Gonzaga Bulldogs in a close final.
I hope you enjoyed hearing my thinking on what 2019 has in store for the wide world of sports. If even half of this list happens, it will be an epic collection of memories. Let us know your predictions for 2019 in the comment section. Happy New Year.